Whole Numbers : The numbers 1,2,3,… are called natural numbers or counting numbers.
Let us add one more number i.e. ,zero(0), to the collection of natural numbers.
Now the numbers are 0,1,2,… These numbers are called whole nos.
We can say that whole nos. consist of zero and the natural numbers. Therefore,except zero all the whole nos. are natural numbers.
Properties of Whole nos. :
1) The smallest natural number is 1.
2) The number 0 is the first and the smallest whole nos.
3) There are infinitely many or uncountable number of whole-numbers.
4) All natural numbers are whole-numbers.
5) All whole-numbers are not natural numbers. For example, 0 is a whole-number but it is not a natural number.
1) Write down the smallest natural number.
2) Write down the smallest whole no.
3) Write down, if possible largest whole no.
4) Are all natural numbers also whole nos.
5) Are whole nos. also natural numbers.
State True or False.
1) Every whole no. has its successor.
2) 0 is the smallest natural number.
3) Between any two whole nos.there is a whole no.
4) If a and b are whole nos. and a < b then a+1 < b+1. Whole numbers