f UN zONE
f UN zONE
Finding Profit or Loss Percent
On finding profit or loss percent we use the following formula:-
Profit % = P % = (Profit / C.P ) x 100
Loss % = L % = ( Loss /C.P )x 100
Where, P% = Profit percent
P = Profit
C.P. = Cost Price
L % = Loss per cent
L = Loss
Examples on finding profit or loss percent
1) Find the gain or loss percent, if
C.P. = $ 4oo , S.P. = $ 500
We have, C.P. = $ 400 and S.P. = $ 500.
Since, S.P. > C.P.
Therefore, there is gain or profit.
Profit = S.P. – C.P.
= $500 - $400 = $100
∴ Profit per cent = Profit / C.P. x 100
= 100 / 400 x 100
2) C.P. = $ 200 , S.P. = $ 150
Since, C.P. = $ 200 and S.P. = $ 150.
As c.p > s.p so there is loss.
Loss = C.P. – S.P.
= $ 200 - $ 150
= $ 50
∴ Loss per cent = Loss / C.P. x 100
= 50 / 200 x 100
3) A box of Alphonso mangoes was purchased by a fruit – seller for $300. However, he had to sell them for $250 because they began they began to overripe. What was the loss percentage?
We have, C.P. = $ 300 and S.P. = $ 250
Since, C.P. > S.P. there is loss
∴ Loss = C.P. – S.P. = $ 300 – 250
= $ 50
Now, Loss % = Loss / C.P. x 100
= 50 / 300 x 100 = 16.67 %
Hence, 16.67% loss
4) Harry bought a computer for $1200 and spent $200 on its accessories. He sold it for $ 1680. Find his profit or loss. What was his profit or loss per cent?
Cost of the computer after accessories = $( 1200 + 200) = $ 1400
S.P = $ 1680
S.P > C.P so there is a profit.
Profit = P = S.P – C.P
P = 1680 -1400
P = $ 280
Profit % = ( P / C.P ) x 100
P % = ( 280 / 1400 ) x 100
P % = 20 %
5) By selling a coat for $ 630, a shopkeeper earns a profit of 5%. Find the cost price of coat.
Here, S.P = $ 630 , P% = 5 % and C.P = ?
Let C.P = 100
S.P = 100 + 5 ( As there is P%, so add P% + 100 )
S.P = $ 630 ( given)
---- = ------ ( cross multiply)
105 x C.P = 630 x 100
105 x C.P = 63,000
C.P = 63,000/ 105
C.P = $600
Profit and Loss
Finding profit or loss percent
Finding cp when sp and Profit or Loss percent are given
Finding sp when cp and Profit or Loss percent are given
Solved examples on Profit and Loss
© and ™ ask-math.com. All Rights Reserved. 2010 - 2013.
7th grade math
8th grade math
9th grade math
10th grade math
11th grade math
Chapter wise Test
CBSE Sample Papers