Trapezoid and its Theorems
In this section ,we will discuss some trapezoid and its theorems.
Trapezoid is a quadrilateral with at least one pair of parallel sides. AB || CD. (if there are two pairs of parallel lines then it is a parallelogram)
When non-parallel sides in trapezoid are equal then it is know ans isosceles trapezoid.
Theorem 1: A trapezoid is isosceles if and only if the base angles are congruent.
ABCD is an isosceles trapezoid. AD = BC and AB || CD.
Prove that :
∠C = ∠D
| 1) ABCD is a trapezoid.
|| 1) Given
| 2) AB || CD
|| 2) Given
| 3) AD = BC
|| 3) Given
| 4) DA || CE
|| 4) By construction
| 5) ADCE is a parallelogram.
|| 5) By Properties of parallelogram.
| 6) DA = CE and DC = AE
|| 6) By properties of parallelogram.
| 7) BC = CE
|| 7) BC = AD and AD = CE (Transitive property)
| 8) ∠CEB ≅ &CBE
|| 8) If BC ≅ CE then angle opposite to them are congruent.
| 9) ∠DAB ≅ ∠ABC
|| 9) property of parallelogram and linear pair angles
| 10) ∠A + ∠D = 180 and ∠B + ∠C = 180
|| 10) Interior angles on the same side of the transversal are supplementary.
| 11) ∠A + ∠D = ∠C + ∠B
|| 11) Transitivity ( Right sides are same so left sides are equal)
| 12) ∠D = ∠C
|| 12) From above (∠A = ∠B)
In a trapezoid PQRS, PQ||RS and PS = QR. If ∠S = 600
then find the remaining angles.
PQ||RS and PS = QR, so trapezoid PQRS is an isosceles trapezoid.
In isosceles trapezoid, base angles are equal.(trapezoid and its theorems)
∠S = ∠R and ∠P = ∠Q
But ∠S = 600
∴ ∠R = 600
Let ∠P = ∠Q = x
Sum of all the angles in a quadrilateral is 360.
∴ ∠P + ∠Q + ∠S + ∠R = 360
x + x + 60 + 60 = 360
2x +120 = 360
2x = 360 -120
2x = 240
∴ x = 240/2
x = 120
∠P = ∠Q = 1200
Some important theorems of trapezoids are given below :
|1. A trapezoid is isosceles if and only if the base angles are congruent.
|2. A trapezoid is isosceles if and only if the diagonals are congruent.
|3. If a trapezoid is isosceles, the opposite angles are supplementary.
| The median (or mid-segment) of a trapezoid is parallel to each base and its length is one half the sum of the lengths of the bases.
| Never assume that a trapezoid is isosceles unless you are given (or can prove) that information.
1) In a trapezoid ABCD,AB|| CD and BC = AD. If m∠C=650
then find m∠D.
2) PQRS is a trapezium in which PQ || RS. If ∠P = ∠Q = 40, find the measures of other two angles.
3) In trapezoid ABCD, ∠B= 1200
4) In a quadrilateral HELP, if EP = LH then what type of quadrilateral it is?
5) In a quadrilateral, the angles are in the ratio of 4:5:3:6.Find the measures of each angles.
6) If three angles in the trapezoid are 1300
. Find x and the 4th angle.
7) Draw a isosceles trapezoid named PQRS, PS||QR and PQ = SR.
• Introduction to Quadrilateral
• Types of Quadrilateral
• Properties of Quadrilateral
• Parallelogram and its Theorems
• Rectangle and its Theorems
• Square and its Theorems
• Rhombus and its Theorems
• Trapezoid and its Theorems
• Kite and its Theorems
• Mid Point Theorem