We at ask-math believe that educational material should be free for everyone. Please use the content of this website for in-depth understanding of the concepts. Additionally, we have created and posted videos on our youtube.
We also offer One to One / Group Tutoring sessions / Homework help for Mathematics from Grade 4th to 12th for algebra, geometry, trigonometry, pre-calculus, and calculus for US, UK, Europe, South east Asia and UAE students.
Affiliations with Schools & Educational institutions are also welcome.
Please reach out to us on [email protected] / Whatsapp +919998367796 / Skype id: anitagovilkar.abhijit
We will be happy to post videos as per your requirements also. Do write to us.
is the set of all points P(x, y) in the plane such that
| PF1 - PF2 | = 2a
Again F1 and F2 are focus points. This time the difference of these distances remain a constant at 2a. The explanation is similar to that of the ellipse. Since the ellipse is the sum of the distances and the hyper-bola is the difference of the distances, the equations are very similar. They differ only in the sign and the longest side for a hyper-bola is c. (Remember for the ellipse it was a)
The equation of the above hyper-bola is
The hyper-bola opens left and right. Notice it comes in two parts. Different than an ellipse which is a closed figure. Hyper-bolas can also open up and down. So the equation is opposite to that of above hyper-bola.
If the center of the hyper-bola is other than origin. Suppose the center is (h,k)
If the hyper-bola opens right/left the translation is :
If the hyper-bola opens up/down the translation is:
1) Find the coordinates of the vertices, the foci, the eccentricity and the equations of the directrices of the hyper-bola 4x2
- 25 y2
= 100. (Ans)
2) Find the equation of the hyper-bola with vertices at (± 5,0) and foci
at (± 7,0).(Ans)
3) Find the equation of the hyper-bola with vertices at (± 6,0) and one of the directrix is x = 4.(Ans)
4) Find the coordinates of the vertices, the foci, the eccentricity and the equations of the directrices of the hyper-bola 9x2
- 16 y2
5) Find the coordinates of the vertices, the foci, the eccentricity and the equations of the directrices of the hyper-bola y2
Russia-Ukraine crisis update - 3rd Mar 2022
The UN General assembly voted at an emergency session to demand an immediate halt to Moscow's attack on Ukraine and withdrawal of Russian troops.