Linear Equations (Age problems)
We at ask-math believe that educational material should be free for everyone. Please use the content of this website for in-depth understanding of the concepts. Additionally, we have created and posted videos on our youtube.
We also offer One to One / Group Tutoring sessions / Homework help for Mathematics from Grade 4th to 12th for algebra, geometry, trigonometry, pre-calculus, and calculus for US, UK, Europe, South east Asia and UAE students.
Affiliations with Schools & Educational institutions are also welcome.
Please reach out to us on [email protected] / Whatsapp +919998367796 / Skype id: anitagovilkar.abhijit
We will be happy to post videos as per your requirements also. Do write to us.
This worksheet is based on Linear Equations in two variables.
1. Five years hence, the age of Jacob will be three times that of his son. Five years ago, Jacob’s age was seven times that of his son. What are their present ages . (Ans)
2. Five years ago, I was thrice as old as my son and ten years later I shall be twice as old as my son. How old are we now?(Ans)
3. A is two years older than B. A’s father D is twice as old as A and B is twice old as his sister C. The ages of D and C differ by 40 years. Find the ages of A and B. (Ans)
4. Two years ago, a father was five times as old as his son. Two years later, his age will be 8 more than the age of the son. Find the present ages of father and son.(Ans)
5. Father’s age is three times the sum of the ages of his two children. After 5 years his age will be twice the sum of age of two children. Find the age of father.(Hint: use linear equations) (Ans)
6. 5 years hence the age of a father shall be three times the age of his son while 5 years earlier the age of father was 7 times the age of his son. Find the present ages.(Ans)
7. The age of a father is equal to the sum of the ages of his 5 children. After 15 years sum of the ages of the children will be twice the age of the father. Find the age of the father.(Ans)
8. Ten years ago, the sum of the ages of two sons was one-third of their father’s age. One son is two years older than the other and sum of their present ages is 14years less than the father’s present age. Find the present ages of all.(Ans)
9. If twice the son’s age I years added to the father’s, the sum is 70. But if twice the father’s age is added to the son’s age, the sum is 95. Find the ages of father and son.(Ans)
10. I am three times as old as my son. Five years later, I shall be two and a half times as old as my son. How old am I and how old is my son?(Ans)
11. A and B are friends and B is two years younger than A. A’s father D is twice as old as A and B is twice as old as his sister C. The age of D and C differ by 40 years. Find the ages of A and B.(Ans)
12. The sum total of the ages of father and the son is 55years. If the father was to live till his son’s age equals his present age. The total of their ages would be 93 years. Find their present ages.(Ans)
13. The ages of two friends Anna and Ben differ by 3 years. Anna’s father Denver is twice as old as Anna and Ben is twice as old as his sister Cathy. The ages of Cathy and Denver differ by 30 years. Find the ages of Anna and Ben.(Ans)
14. Five years ago, Nancy was thrice as old as Sam. Ten years later, Nancy will be twice as old as Sam. How old are Nancy and Sam?(Ans)
Linear equations to Worksheet