Covid-19 has led the world to go through a phenomenal transition .
E-learning is the future today.
Stay Home , Stay Safe and keep learning!!!
Trigonometric Ratios (SOHCAHTOA ) :
The word Trigonometry is derived from three Greek words: "Trio" meaning thrice(3), "gonia" meaning measure. Thus , Trigonometry is the study of a three-sided figure i.e. a triangle.
Hipparchus a Greek mathematician, relationships however large or or small measure. The three most used ratio to solve a right angled triangle are the Sine(sin), Cosine(cos) and the Tangent(tan).
The most important task of trigonometry is to find the remaining sides and angles of a triangle when some of its sides and angles are given. This problem is solved by using some ratios of the sides of a triangle with respect to its acute angles. These ratios of acute angles are called Trigonometry ratios of angles.
| Let ΔABC, the side opposite to ∠A is ‘a’ ,
side opposite to ∠B is ‘b’
and side opposite to ∠C is ‘c’.
We define the following six trigonometric ratios.
In a right angled triangle,
1) Adjacent side(A) is adjacent to the angle "θ"
2) Opposite side(O) is opposite the angle “θ",
3) the longest side is the Hypotenuse (H).
SOH-CAH-TOA" is a helpful mnemonic for remembering the definitions of the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent i.e.,
1) Sine Function: Sinθ= Opposite/ Hypotenuse = O/H (SOH)
2)Cosine Function : Cosθ = Adjacent / Hypotenuse =A/H (CAH)
3)Tangent Function : tanθ = Opposite / Adjacent = O/A (TOA)
4) Cosecant Function : cosecθ = Hypotenuse / Opposite = H/O
5)Secant Function: Secθ = Hypotenuse /Adjacent = H/A
6) Cotangent Function : Cotθ = Adjacent / Opposite = A/ H
1) In a ΔPQR, ∠Q = 90 0 . Write sin(P), cos(P) and tan(P).
2) In a ΔABC, ∠B=90 0 , AB= 6, BC= 8 find sin(c),cos(C), tan(c), csc(C), sec(C) and cot(C).
3) In ΔMNO, tan(M)= 5/12, find sin(M) and cos(M).
• SOHCAHTOA -Introduction to Trigonometry
• Trigonometric ratios and their Relation
• Trigonometry for specific angles
• Complementary angles in Trigonometry
• Trigonometric Equations
Covid-19 has affected physical interactions between people.
Don't let it affect your learning.