Addition and subtraction of integers is bit complex. Addition and subtraction are the two functions that
are the basic mathematical functions. In integers this mathematical function is bit complicated due to
the presence of a particular sign before the number i.e. ‘- ‘ and ~ez_lsquo+ez_rsquo~. However, when you add or subtract
two numbers with the same sign you do as directed, but if the numbers have different signs then it is
If there is subtraction between a positive and a negative number then there is addition.
Integers rules adding and subtracting
Rules of integers for addition and subtraction :
1) If the two numbers have different sign like positive and negative then subtract the two numbers and give the sign of the bigger number.
2) If the two numbers have same sign i.e. either positive or negative signs then add the two numbers and give the common sign.
3) (positive) x (positive) = positive sign of the product.
4) (negative) x (negative) = negative sign of the product.
5) (positive) x (negative) = negative sign of the product.
number is positive hence the sign of the product is positive
6) (negative) x (positive) = sign of the product is negative.
Note: the answer of the addition or subtraction between two numbers will have the sign of the greater number. Solved examples :
1. subtract: (-4) – (-3)
(negative) x (negative 3) = + 3
= -4 + 3
Here, I have given the sign of the number of bigger value i.e. (- 4).
2. Addition: -8 + 10
= -8 + 10
3. Subtract: -9 – (+9)
(negative) x (positive 9) = - 9
= -9 – 9
= - 18