Covid-19 has led the world to go through a phenomenal transition .
E-learning is the future today.
Stay Home , Stay Safe and keep learning!!!
Addition on Number Line
Number line is a concept where numbers are marked on a line with equal unit distance between them. To draw a no. line, one should begin with drawing a line and mark points at equal distance. Writing numbers on a no. line helps to know which number is greater and which one is smaller.
The numbers given to the left hand side are smaller than the numbers given on the right hand side of the no. line. If we were to calculate the distance between point 2 and point 4, the answer is 2 units. We calculated this by calculating units from 2 to 4, and the difference turned out to be 2. This tells that the numbers on the right hand side are greater. With the help no. line system, we can easily calculate addition, subtraction and multiplication.
Calculate the difference between point 1 and point 6.
The curves drawn are 5. Hence, the difference between point 1 and point 6 is 5.
The example given above illustrates subtraction function on the no. line. Now, we will learn the addition function on the no. line.
Solved example: -
if we take the addition of 2 and three, then we will start from the lower digit i.e. 2 and take three jumps from the marked digit (2). After 3 jumps the number on which the jump stops is the answer i.e. 5.
Take the above exercises and do addition on the no. line.
Multiplication on Number Line
Taking the same solved example of addition on no. line, we will learn the multiplication technique. In multiplication, we will start from 0, then directly jump to the lowest digit i.e. 2 and then equally jump thrice, (jump number of times in such a way that the total no. of jumps is the other number). The point at which the jumps stop is the answer.
1. With the help of example solved above, solve the following problems in each subtraction, addition and multiplications functions.
1. Calculate the difference between point 3 and point 12
2. Calculate the difference between point 0 and point 10
3. Calculate the difference between point 3 and point 5
4. Calculate the difference between point 2 and point 8.
5. Calculate the difference between point 1 and point 4
6. Calculate the difference between point 12 and point 18
7. Calculate the difference between point 23 and point 33
8. Calculate the difference between point 78 and point 79
9. Calculate the difference between point 345 and point 351
10. Calculate the difference between point 10 and point 19
2. In each of the following pairs of numbers, state which whole numbers is on the left of the other number on the no. line?
1. 430, 403
2. 23, 32
4. 445, 455
5. 098, 089
6. 230, 220
7. 45, 34
8. 7, 17
9. 1001, 1011
10. 12, 20
Number line to 6th Grade
Covid-19 has affected physical interactions between people.
Don't let it affect your learning.