Similarity in Geometry
We at ask-math believe that educational material should be free for everyone. Please use the content of this website for in-depth understanding of the concepts. Additionally, we have created and posted videos on our youtube.
We also offer One to One / Group Tutoring sessions / Homework help for Mathematics from Grade 4th to 12th for algebra, geometry, trigonometry, pre-calculus, and calculus for US, UK, Europe, South east Asia and UAE students.
Affiliations with Schools & Educational institutions are also welcome.
Please reach out to us on [email protected] / Whatsapp +919998367796 / Skype id: anitagovilkar.abhijit
We will be happy to post videos as per your requirements also. Do write to us.
In this section we will discuss similarity in Geometry.
Two geometric figures having the same shape and size are known as congruent figures. Note that congruent figures are same in all respect.
Geometric figures having the same shape but different sizes are known as similar figures.
To represent a similar figure we use ~
this sign .
For example, if triangle ABC and triangle PQR are similar then it can be represented as follows .
Δ ABC ~ ΔPQR.
1) Any two line segments are always similar but they need not be congruent. They are congruent if their lengths are equal.
2) Any two equilateral triangles are similar.
3) Any two circles are similar but not necessarily congruent. They are congruent if their radii are equal.
There is always one-to-one correspondence between the parts of two similar figures.
Q.1 Fill in the blanks.
1) All circles are _________ (congruent / similar). (Ans)
2) All _________ triangles are similar.(isosceles / equilateral). (Ans)
3) All square are ________( similar / congruent). (Ans)
Q.2 How many similar triangles are there in the figure?
Q.3 Identify the pair having similar triangles.
Q.4 Give two different examples of pair of
(i) Similar Figures (Ans-i)
(ii) Non-similar figures (Ans-ii)
Q.5 State the similarity or not :
(i) The two circles with radii 4cm and 5cm.
(ii) Two equilateral triangles with sides 5cm and 8cm each.
(iii) Two triangles, one is right triangle and other is isosceles triangle.
Similarity in Triangles
• Similarity in Geometry
• Properties of similar triangles
• Basic Proportionality Theorem(Thales theorem)
• Converse of Basic Proportionality Theorem
• Interior Angle Bisector Theorem
• Exterior Angle Bisector Theorem
• Proofs on Basic Proportionality
• Criteria of Similarity of Triangles
• Geometric Mean of Similar Triangles
• Areas of Two Similar Triangles
Russia-Ukraine crisis update - 3rd Mar 2022
The UN General assembly voted at an emergency session to demand an immediate halt to Moscow's attack on Ukraine and withdrawal of Russian troops.