Surface Area of Rectangular Prism
We at ask-math believe that educational material should be free for everyone. Please use the content of this website for in-depth understanding of the concepts. Additionally, we have created and posted videos on our youtube.
We also offer One to One / Group Tutoring sessions / Homework help for Mathematics from Grade 4th to 12th for algebra, geometry, trigonometry, pre-calculus, and calculus for US, UK, Europe, South east Asia and UAE students.
Affiliations with Schools & Educational institutions are also welcome.
Please reach out to us on [email protected] / Whatsapp +919998367796 / Skype id: anitagovilkar.abhijit
We will be happy to post videos as per your requirements also. Do write to us.
Here we will discuss surface area of rectangular prism :
is also known as Cuboid according to Indian Mathematics.
Surface area of rectangular prism is the measure of how much exposed area a solid object has, expressed in square units.
All the faces of a Rectangular prism are rectangular. This makes calculating the areas of these surfaces very easily. The area of Rectangle have been discussed in another section, which is available for review before proceeding, if necessary. There are 6 faces in rectangular prism so to find the surface area of rectangular prism , add the area of each face.
If the Rectangular prism is open from top and bottom then its area is called Area of 4 walls or Lateral surface area.
Formulas for surface area of rectangular prism :
Some solved examples on surface area of rectangular prism
| Surface area = 2 ( lw + wh + lh)
Lateral surface area = 2h (l + w)
Length of diagonal = √( l2 + w2 + h2)
1) A rectangular box of length 40 cm, width 25 cm and height 20 cm is to be made of tin. What is the area of tin sheet required if the box has a lid also?
l = 40 cm ; w = 25 cm and h = 20 cm
Total surface area of box = 2 ( l x w + w x h + l x h)
Area = 2 ( 40 x 25 + 25 x 20 + 40 x 20 )
= 2 ( 1000 + 500 + 800 )
= 2 x 2300
Area = 4600 cm2
2) A rectangular room of dimensions 8 m x 6 m x 3 m is to be painted. If it costs $60 per square meter, find the cost of painting the walls of the room.
l = 8 m ; w = 6 m ; h = 3 m
Painting walls of the room that means here we have to use the formula for area of 4 walls.
Area of 4 walls = 2 x h (l + w)
= 2 x 3 ( 8 + 6)
= 6 x 14
Area of walls = 84 m2
Cost of painting 4 walls = 84 x 60 = $ 5040
3) The sum of length, width and depth(height) of a rectangular box is 19 cm and length of its diagonal is 11 cm. Find the surface area of the box.
l + w + h = 19
Diagonal = 11 cm
⇒ &radi; ( l2
) = 11
l + w + h = 19
⇒ ( l + w + h)2
+ 2( lw + wh + lh) = 361
⇒ 121 + 2 (lw + wh + lh) = 361
⇒ 2(lw + wh + lh ) = 240
Hence, the surface area of box is 240 m2
4) The length and width of a hall are in the ratio 4:3 and its height is 5.5 m. The cost of decorating its walls (including doors and windows ) at $ 6.60 per square meter is $5082. Find the length and width of the room.
As the cost of decorating walls is $ 5082 at the rate of $ 6.60 per square meter.
∴ Area of walls = 5082 / 6.60 = 770 m2
Let x be the ratio.
Length = 4x and width = 3x
Height = h = 5.5 m
Area of walls = 2 h ( l + w)
770 = 2 x 5.5 ( 4x + 3x )
770 = 11 ( 7x)
∴ 7x = 770 / 11
⇒ 7x = 70
⇒ x = 10
∴ length = 4x = 4(10) = 40 m and width = 3x = 3(10) = 30 m.
Surface Area :
• Surface Area of Cube
• Surface Area of Rectangular Prism(Cuboid)
• Surface Area of Cylinder
• Surface Area of Cone
• Surface Area of Sphere and Hemisphere
• Surface Area of Prism
• Surface Area of Pyramid
From Rectangular Prism to Mensuration
8th grade math